Elizabeth Crouch and the Cupcake Rack Part 2

By Elizabeth Crouch

Buy Now

Buy Now


Little Roy was being life-flighted

Roy called and told Chelsea and me that Little Roy was being life-flighted to Doernbecher Children’s Hospital in Portland, Oregon. He was unconscious and it was really bad. Shaanon’s boyfriend was babysitting and said the baby had fallen off the couch.

Immediately, I fell to the ground, prostrating myself to the Lord, begging for the life of my grandson. “Please Jesus, don’t take him away. Please God, let us keep our baby.” Tears were streaming down my face. Chelsea kept her cool as she told me that she would drive us to the hospital. She had an eight day old baby and we were rushing to the hospital to meet the helicopter carrying six month old baby Roy, unconscious and barely alive. Incomprehensible. I didn’t understand.

We Were Told That Little Roy Would Not Survive

At Doernbecher, we were told that Little Roy would not survive. When he was taken to Santiam Hospital in Stayton by the guy who was babysitting, his body had already cooled down and he was unresponsive. His brain was fractured and swelling on all sides. His leg was broken and one lung was collapsed. Our precious baby boy already had one foot in Heaven’s door. We were heart-broken. There were no words.

Soon, at the hospital were Chelsea and I, along with her baby girl, Brooklyn, Chelsea’s husband, Jesse, Shaanon and Big Roy. We were taken to a small room where the doctors could come in and keep us close at hand when news was to be delivered. They kept us together in the small room anticipating the worst.

Dr. Baird, our Neurosurgeon, told us that Little Roy’s brain was swelling and it would continue to swell for 72 hours. His little skull was not big enough to house this swelling brain. They would relieve some of the pressure by inserting a couple of tubes to help the fluids drain, but if the swelling continues on this path, they’d have to remove part of the skull to give it room to grow. Dr. Baird continued that with the injuries sustained by the baby, the chances of him surviving were minimal to none. Really, there was no hope.

We Had Hope

But then again, he wasn’t supposed to survive the flight on the helicopter, and he did! There was hope! Shaanon and I had hope!

For three long days we prayed, and prayed, and prayed. We were given little hope from the doctors, actually we were encouraged not to have hope. They’ve seen these kinds of injuries much too often and know the outcome. But we had God! God can do anything, even save Little Roy!

After the crucial three days, Roy was still alive. Then we were told that if he wakes up, and that’s a big if, he would be a vegetable. If he survives, we would end up caring for him as he grows, but he would not be able to respond to us at all. He would never eat or breathe on his own; he’d never smile, laugh, know us, or tell us he loves us. He’d be a vegetable.

But we had hope! We had God!

My Manufacturer in China

So while this is all going on, I had a manufacturer in China ready to load my cargo and a shipper ready to bring my cargo to Oregon. I couldn’t stop that process. So I told John Tu and Angel, my shipper, what was going on with my family. From that point on, they kept in contact with each other, organizing the shipment together, emailing me information and telling me there was no need to respond, they would take care of everything! The emails were just so I had updates about the entire shipment. They prayed for us and sent their love and support and kept my order on track without me having to do anything. I love them so much! You can see why I consider John Tu my family!

We had thousands of people from around the world praying for us. Social media makes it possible to share information so quickly that God was hearing prayers around the clock. I think He finally just said, “OK, OK, enough already! Little Roy will survive!”

After about six brain surgeries, eye surgery, five weeks in the hospital, an E.coli infection, and much more, we were able to bring our baby home.


We were given a miracle. Little Roy is now two and a half and he’s a living miracle! He breathes and eats on his own; and he talks and laughs and teases, he walks with a walker, but will run like the wind someday! He is pure joy and LOVE! Shaanon is acing Nursing School and is planning a bright future for them both.

The person who hurt Little Roy is in prison until 2023. Surely not long enough! Had we not been given a miracle, this guy would have been up for murder instead of just Assault 1. I guess he was given a gift as well.

The Cupcake Rack Crosses The Ocean

The order for The Cupcake Rack was done and I was following my ship, the Hanjin London, online as it carried my cargo across the ocean. Researching how a ship gets from the coast at Astoria inland to Portland, I found that to cross the treacherous Columbia River Bar, a specialty pilot is helicoptered out to sea, to the vessel making the crossing, and he pilots the ship across the bar. Then, a Columbia River Pilot steers the ship all the way to Portland.

I was so excited about the Hanjin London and my container aboard that on the day my ship was to make it’s crossing from the Pacific to the Columbia River, so I decided to be there and literally ‘watch my ship come in’!

So I now sell The Cupcake Rack on my website, www.TheCupcakeRack.com, and on Amazon.com and have extremely satisfied customers. I enjoy receiving pictures of their cupcake bouquets using The Cupcake Rack and  post them on my website on the Creations by You page. They’re wonderful!

At the beginning of this journey, I didn’t really know if I wanted to retail The Cupcake Rack myself or try to find a license for it. Currently, I’m selling it myself, but aggressively looking for a licensing partner.


While perusing options online, I found a website that makes it easy for anyone to submit an idea without going through all the steps that I took. At www.EdisonNation.com, submitting an idea is affordable. They are trustworthy and pretty much addictive! Fun! If you have an idea, don’t let it to, submit it and, who knows, maybe you’ll be on the shelf, too! One of my other inventions was submitted to a challenge at Edison Nation and it actually made it through all the steps resulting in a Licensing Agreement with a manufacturer from New York! I’m anxiously awaiting my idea to be on the shelf in the fall of 2015!

The journey of inventing The Cupcake Rack has been one of the best in my life. It’s been exciting, challenging, educational, and FUN!

Buy Now

Buy Now


And all the events of the last two years have been mind-blowing…

 A tragedy
 A miracle
 An idea brought to life
 An approved Utility Patent
 Another invention licensed
 And many wonderful prayer warriors supporting my family

God has truly blessed us!

Click here to visit their website.

What's Your Reaction?


Elizabeth Crouch and the Cupcake Rack Part 2

reset password

Back to
log in